current fire risk
The current Fire Risk for the Cowichan Region is Low
Daily Provincial Fire Danger Rating Map
There are 4 levels of Fire Risk:
- Low – Fires may start easily and spread quickly but there will be minimal involvement of deeper fuel layers or larger fuels.
- Moderate – Forest fuels are drying and there is an increased risk of surface fires starting. Carry out any forest activities with caution.
- High – Forest fuels are very dry and the fire risk is serious. New fires may start easily, burn vigorously, and challenge fire suppression efforts. Extreme caution must be used in any forest activities. Open burning and industrial activities may be restricted.
- Extreme – Extremely dry forest fuels and the fire risk is very serious. New fires will start easily, spread rapidly, and challenge fire suppression efforts. General forest activities may be restricted, including open burning, industrial activities and campfires.
Below are some manuals on how to FireSmart your home and property.
- BC Home Owners FireSmart Manual – tips for protecting your house and yard
- Alberta Firesmart Guide to Landscaping – lists of fire resistant plants, including Hardiness zone, water requirements, sun/shade requirements
- FireSmart Canada guide for Community Wildfire Protection – includes homeowner tips
- CVRD public safety workbook – includes a section on preparing for forest fires